Mycology Literature Reading List
I'm aiming to read 100 mycology journal articles and textbook chapters this year. Any entries marked with a * have been read and discussed as part of the Hyphal Fusion Reading Group.
- Hiscox J, O'Leary J, Boddy L (2018). Fungus wars: basidiomycete battles in wood decay. Studies in Mycology 89: 117–124. *
- Crowther TW, Boddy L, Maynard DS (2018). The use of artificial media in fungal ecology. Fungal Ecology 32: 87–91.
- Parfitt D, Hunt J, Dockrell D, et al. (2010). Do all trees carry the seeds of their own destruction? PCR reveals numerous wood decay fungi latently present in sapwood of a wide range of angiosperm trees. Fungal Ecology, 3: 338–346.
- Boddy L, Crockatt ME, Ainsworth AM (2011). Ecology of Hericium cirrhatum, H. coralloides and H. erinaceus in the UK. Fungal Ecology, 4(2): 163–173.
- Heaton L, Obara B, Grau V, et al. (2012). Analysis of fungal networks. Fungal Biology Reviews, 26(1): 12-29.
- Mueller U, Kardish M, Ishak H, et al. (2018). Phylogenetic patterns of ant–fungus associations indicate that farming strategies, not only a superior fungal cultivar, explain the ecological success of leafcutter ants. Molecular Ecology, 27(10): 2414-2434.
- Yang D, Liang J, Wang Y, et al. (2016). Tea waste: an effective and economic substrate for oyster mushroom cultivation. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 96(2), 680-684.
- Richter DL, Dixon TG, Smith JK (2016). Revival of saprotrophic and mycorrhizal basidiomycete cultures after 30 years in cold storage in sterile water. Canadian Journal of Microbiology, 62(11), 932-937.
- Schwartz MW, Hoeksema JD, Gehring CA, et al. (2006). The promise and the potential consequences of the global transport of mycorrhizal fungal inoculum. Ecology Letters, 9(5), 501-515.
- Kües U & Liu Y (2000). Fruiting body production in basidiomycetes. Applied Microbiology and Biotechnology, 54(2), 141-152.
- Jusino MA, Lindner DL, Banik MT, et al. (2016). Experimental evidence of a symbiosis between red-cockaded woodpeckers and fungi. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences, 283(1827).
- Garibay-Orijel R, Ramírez-Terrazo A & Ordaz-Velázquez M. (2012). Women care about local knowledge, experiences from ethnomycology. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 8(1), 1-13.
- Raudabaugh DB, Matheny PB, Hughes KW, et al. (2020). Where are they hiding? Testing the body snatchers hypothesis in pyrophilous fungi. Fungal Ecology, 43, 100870.
- Ingham CJ, Kalisman O, Finkelshtein A, Ben-Jacob E (2011). Mutually facilitated dispersal between the nonmotile fungus Aspergillus fumigatus and the swarming bacterium Paenibacillus vortex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 108(49):19731-6.